Even though it was Groundhog’s Day, the folks at NBC’s Parks and Recreation unloaded a Valentine’s Day episode on us. Actually, it was more of a Valentine’s Day and GALentine’s Day combo. As you may recall, on February 13, Leslie likes to celebrate her girlfriends and give them gifts. She’s thoughtful that way. And that’s why Galentine’s Day is almost up there with other TV holidays like Seinfeld’s Festivus and The O.C.’s Chrismakkah in my book. I haven’t decided about Hart of Dixie’s Planksgiving yet.We actually learned a lot about the various Pawnee players in “Operation Ann”:
- Leslie’s mom was born on the same day Joseph Stalin died.
- Ron Swanson is the first smartest guy Andy knows. Ben’s the second smartest guy.
- April hates Valentine’s Day. And brunch. And outside. And smiling.
- April and Andy are perfect for each other. April doesn’t mind when Andy doesn’t buy gas and instead buys novelty cookie cutters. Now everything they eat is shaped like dinosaurs.
- Ron loves intricate scavenger hunts. Who knew? They make him downright giddy. In fact, he wants Leslie to arrange one for him on his upcoming birthday. And it looks like he turned a lot of heads at the local gay establishment. It’s official. Everyone thinks Ron Swanson is hot.
- Donna has several men on rotation. And she seemed to be with at least three of them at the Valentine’s dance.
- Do not let Chris Traeger DJ when he’s depressed. Although, what exactly made him bounce back? Inquiring minds want to know.
- And how did Jerry not realize he hired a male escort? He’s so clueless. Love that about him.
- Ben now loves and misses Lil’ Sebastian. Well, maybe not misses, but he did guess the whole end game of the scavenger hunt correctly. And for that he is awesome.
- April is a nice person. It’s official.
- Leslie likes passionate speakers and Italian men
Moment of Goodness: April Set up Ann and Tom at the Valentine’s dance
Much of the episode was designed to find Ann a date. So at the dance, she was forced to talk to various candidates. April, despite her supposed disdain for the nurse who used to go out with Andy, had the best luck. She saw that Tom was the only guy to make Ann smile that night and encouraged her to pursue that. So Tom and Ann went out on a secret date, where they seemed to get along. Well, they got along when Tom wasn’t trying to get all Rico Suave on her. I thought this was a nice sequence coupled with the fact Ben and Leslie were spying on them. You see, Leslie thought (boss) Chris and (employee) Ann were hooking up again — which would have been against the Parks and Rec bylaws or whatever. I thought it was weirdly sweet how quickly Ben was willing to abandon their Valentine’s dinner plans to help his girlfriend catch Ann and Chris in the act. Those two are just about the cutest couple on TV.
What They Said: Some Favorite Quotes from “Operation Ann” (writer: Aisha Muharrar)
- “Joseph Stalin dies?” “That’s right mom and you replaced him. Not in terms of genocide just in terms of being on earth.”
- “I have several men in rotation. One’s waiting for me out in the car. Don’t worry, I rolled down the window.”
- “Man, you beautiful spinster. I will find you love.” “What? Did you say something?” “Love you!”
- “Thank you all for being here. Let’s get started.” “Wow, great attitude, Ron.” “Sorry, I was talking to these ribs.”
- “Also, you need to find someone educated and friendly and fun.” “Just tell us the damn word.” “Effervescent. You need to be effervescent.”
- “Quick question about Ann. Does anyone know…if she has any Indian in her?” “No one respond. No one say anything.” “Why? Just curious if Ann has a little Indian in her.” “Silence.” “I don’t think she does.” “Would she like some?” “No!”
- “Hey Chris Cross. Can we change up the music? It kind of sounds like the end of a movie about a monk who killed himself.” “It is.”
- “Stop staring at Jerry like that.”
- “I am 44 years old.” “You don’t look a day over 30.” “Most people say 25.” “Who says that?” “A lot of people.”
- “You love Italian men?” “Not as much as…Irish…Scottish? White. Whatever you are.”
Parks and Rec airs Thursdays on NBC at 8:30/7:30c.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People [streaming on Global TV in Canada and Roku…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…