TV Goodness Reports: Mindy Kaling, Jane Lynch, Liz Meriwether and more at Fox’s Girls’ Night Out [PHOTOS]
When all your favorite fall shows are on summer break, what better way to spend your night than with the ladies of Fox! TV Goodness was lucky enough to be on the scene as Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project), Jane Lynch (Glee), Yeardly Smith (The Simpsons), Alex Borstein (Family Guy), Chelsea Peretti (Brooklyn Nine-Nine), Liz Meriwether (New Girl) and Heather Kadin (Sleepy Hollow) all came together for a girls’ night panel and to give us some scoop on costars, challenges and how they spend their downtime.
Here are some of the highlights:
– Chelsea Perretti showed up looking STUNNINGÂ in a burnt orange dress and despite her backstage nerves, managed to keep the audience laughing the whole time. When asked about growing up with her Brooklyn Nine-Nine costar Andy Samberg, Peretti admits that his alluring charm is nothing new to her.
Peretti: Andy used to play basketball. I thought he was very dreamy at the time and I showed that by calling his house and hanging up on his mom. I’m sure she loved that.
– When asked how she plans to deal with the will they/won’t they relationship dramaÂ of Danny and Mindy, Mindy Kaling admitted that longing is far more intriguing… “who cares about happy people?” However, she also admits that some of her favorite shows such as I Love Lucy and Modern Family, deal with real, relatable relationship issues so she has great predecessors to guide the way. That being said, withÂ Chris’ “superhuman ability to smolder,” Kaling admitted it was actually harder to keep this couple apart than put them together. With his “Marlboro Man” energy and her frenetic pace, their chemistry was natural and something that became a focus of the show due to Messina‘s tremendous talent.
– Before telling us about an amazing moment involving Prince and a dark bathroom (don’t worry, it’s not as scandalous as it sounds), New Girl creator Liz Meriwether admitted that the Superbowl episode was not their initial ideaÂ for a Prince cameo. She and the creators first reached out to the superstar in season 2 for the “Virgins” episode, thinking it would be funny if Â a flashback revealed thatÂ Cece had lost her virginity to Prince. Unfortunately, Prince’s people didn’t approve, but they did respond that Prince was a big fan of the show. Meriwether brushed it off as a kind compliment, but a year later they reached out again so when Meriwether got word that New GirlÂ would have the post-Superbowl spot, she knew it was time to give the Prince cameo another shot.
-SmithÂ admitted to having no interest in voice-overs when she first was tapped for The Simpsons, initially for the role of Bart and eventually cast in the role of Lisa. Her goal was “to rule the world and voice-overs weren’t a part of that.” RevealingÂ that she’d been teased as a child for her voice, she never imagined that it would one day be her fortune. And now as part of the longest running show in prime time, she joked that its pretty clear who’s getting the last laugh.
-KadinÂ admitted to dealing with her own share of challenges as the Executive Producer of Sleepy Hollow, including how toÂ capture and interrogate a headless horseman. Apparently many ideas were pitched,Â including having him write on a white board but when it was decided that he would speak through John Cho, KadinÂ admitted it “could’ve been really, really stupid but we were really happy with it.”
– After gushing over Seth MacFarlane‘s “creative genius” and revealing which part of the female anatomy hurts most after a SoulCycle class, Borstein joked that over atÂ Family Guy “we’re method, so a lot of the love-making [scenes], we do in the booth.”
– When a Twitter fan asked what Peretti and her character have in common, Peretti enlightened us before going on a very Gina-likeÂ tangent about Candy Crush:
Â Peretti: It’s harder to say what we don’t have in common. I text constantly. I definitely pitched that for [my character] Gina and it worked and now I get to text during scenes.
– Jane Lynch shared with us one of her favorite Sue Sylvester quips —- ‘Loving musical theater doesn’t mean you’re gay, it just means you’re awful’ —beforeÂ gushing about how excited she was to have the cast reunited for the final season.
-Finally, when asked what they like to do when they finish shooting, go home and have a moment of free time, Peretti quipped “do a panel” before Mindy enlightened the audience with an unexpected answer.
Kaling: I think it’s because of my genre. I love violent dramas. Like The Walking Dead. I could watch them get stabbed in the head again and again. [Unlike my show] There is purely no overlap with The Walking Dead and my show — not that there shouldn’t be.
We couldn’t agree more. If anyone can fit a zombie storyline in to the life of a single New York doctor, it’s Mindy.
Big thanks to all the ladies for coming out and giving us a little something to hold us over until The Mindy Project, Glee, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Sleepy Hollow, Family Guy, New GirlÂ andÂ The SimpsonsÂ return.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People, which US audiences still have not been able…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…