Switching Partners on Dancing with the Stars “Season 18 Week 4”
The week we were waiting for. Okay the week I was waiting for. The Switch Up! Did the partners we want get put together? This weekâ€™s guest judge was Julianne Hough, whom everyone loved last season. Each partner was announced right before each dance. I wasnâ€™t sure how this was going to go but I found it interesting. One of the problems I did notice was the band had some trouble. Also it was announced that no one was going home this week. I guess thatâ€™s fair but does that mean a double elimination next week or what? Letâ€™s break last night down:
Candace Cameron Bure and Tony Dovoloni (regular partner – Mark Ballas)
- The first thing Candace said in the taped package was, â€œI think the person I donâ€™t want is Tony because he always embarrasses me.â€ Surprise! It ended up being fine but they gave Candace a hard time about her technique. Could she be in jeopardy next week?
Score: 7-Carrie Ann, 7- Len, 7-Julianne, 7-Bruno; Total: 28
Voting number: 800-868-3407
James Maslow and Cheryl Burke (regular partner – Peta Murgatroyd)Â
- Well I liked this. Did you? Julianne liked it too. She talked about how most of the hot guys can get so far but that James is not only hot, he is a contender. All the judges like it but gave him a hard time with his butt sticking out. (I didnâ€™t have a problem with this at all.) One of my favorites of the night for many reasons.
Score: 9-Carrie Ann, 8- Len, 9-Julianne, 9-Bruno; Total: 35
Voting number: 800-868-3402
Drew Carey and Witney Carson (regular partner – Cheryl Burke)
Dance: Cha Cha
- Drew happens to be the oldest celebrity this season and Witney is paired with Cody who is one of the youngest. He made a comment that it was like dancing with his daughter. But they really did do a great job! Â I personally feel that Drew is the best comedian they have had on the show. He is progressively getting better and Julianne loved it so much, she gave him a nine.
Score: 8-Carrie Ann, 8- Len, 9-Julianne, 8-Bruno; Total: 33
Voting number: 800-868-3409
Macyâ€™s Stars of Dance
- Last season they did not have the Macyâ€™s Stars of Dance performances since they went down from two days to one. This season Derek is in charge of these dances and has a lot of freedom to try different things. This weekâ€™s dance featured Kathryn McCormick, from the movie, Step Up Revolution and So You Think You Can Dance. The dance also featured slow-motion camera which only works if it is choreographed correctly. (Of course it was, itâ€™s Derek!)
Danica McKellar and Maks Chmerkovskiy (regular partner – Valentin Chmerkovskiy)
- Danica is a lucky girl. She gets a chance to dance with both brothers! In the package Maks expressed he was frustrated that Danica asks a lot of questions when Meryl just does what he tells her to do. (Hello, Meryl is an Ice Dancer and Danica is a very analytical girl.) The judges had mixed reactions. Also there was a problem with the music. Len felt there was too much goofing about. It was also mentioned that Maks was phoning it in. Julianne even prefaced what she said by saying that Maks was Mark this year. Maksâ€™ reply was, â€œIâ€™ll never be Mark.â€ (Interestingâ€¦..) Anyway, Julianne said it seemed that Maks was just trying to get through the week to get back to Meryl. Maks didnâ€™t agree and either did his brother. (That could have been awkward)
Score: 8-Carrie Ann, 8- Len, 8-Julianne, 8-Bruno; Total: 32
Voting number: 800-868-3403
Charlie White and Peta Murgatroyd (regular partner – Sharna Burgess)
- The judges were split on this dance. Len and Carrie Ann didnâ€™t think that they did a proper Rhumba. And Carrie Ann also said there was a lift. They thought the performance was good but had to call them out. Julianne and Bruno thought it was stunning and beautiful. One constructive criticism was that Charlie starts on his heels too much and thatâ€™s probably because of the skating. Peta looked really upset that she had let Charlie and Sharna down but I couldnâ€™t disagree with that more!
Score: 7-Carrie Ann, 8- Len, 9-Julianne, 9-Bruno; Total: 33
Voting number: 800-868-3412
Amy Purdy and Mark Ballas (regular partner – Derek Hough)
- Amy and Mark were excited to work together. At the beginning of the week they both were struggling. But once Mark sat down and had a chat with his BFF Derek, everything fell into place. This girl keeps amazing me every week how she can move and do it well. If you didnâ€™t already know that she didnâ€™t have legs, you wouldnâ€™t even be able to tell.
Score: 9-Carrie Ann, 8- Len, 8-Julianne, 9-Bruno; Total: 34
Voting number: 800-868-3410
Cody Simpson and Sharna Burgess (regular partner – Witney Carson)
- Sharna is only 28 but she really felt the generation difference with Cody. She was being serious and whipping him in to shape while Witney is a little more laid back. The guy can dance and they did a nice Foxtrot. However both the judges and myself (Cause my opinion matters) can see he still is not embracing different styles of dance. He needs to improve his arms, especially for the ballroom dances like the Foxtrot. He sang at the beginning but I donâ€™t think they should ever let the singers in the competition do that. Thatâ€™s just my personal opinion though.
Score: 9-Carrie Ann, 8- Len, 9-Julianne, 9-Bruno; Total: 35
Voting number: 800-868-3408
Nene Leakes and Derek Hough (regular partner – Tony Dovolani) Â
- When Nene saw that she had Derek she called him her little Munchkin! Sheâ€™s so funny. Again there was a problem with the music but Nene kept going. She did a great job and the moves showed off how good she can be. Unfortunately I think it sucks that they got penalized because of the bandâ€™s mistakes. I miss Harold Wheeler. Iâ€™m sorry, I said it! Bloop!
Score: 8-Carrie Ann, 8- Len, 8-Julianne, 8-Bruno; Total: 32
Voting number: 800-868-3401
Meryl Davis and Valentin Chmerkovskiy (regular partner – Maksim Chmerkovskiy)
Dance: Argentine Tango
- Apparently this is Maksâ€™ favorite dance. Meryl, like Danica, is a lucky girl and got a chance to dance with both brothers. This was my favorite dance of the night. And the judges agreed. Even Julianne said to Meryl that she wished she could dance like her. That is the biggest compliment a girl can get.
Score: 10-Carrie Ann, 9- Len, 10-Julianne, 10-Bruno; Total: 39
Voting number: 800-868-3406
Len: â€œGetting a new partner is like getting an itchy blanket. Itâ€™s uncomfortable but it gets the job done.â€
Tom: â€œLast season it was Bill Engvall.â€
Julianne: â€œPeta can help you with tucking your pelvis.â€
Tony: â€œWhoâ€™s ever working with Nene, get ear muffs. She screams a lot.â€
Cheryl: â€œItâ€™s a grandpa relationship. Cute. Creepy but cute.â€
Tom: â€œStar graduates of the May-December Academy.â€
Maks: â€œSome things in nature just happen. Iâ€™m a naturally gorgeous person.â€
Tom: â€œIâ€™m going to let Maks go get tickets for Julianneâ€™s tour.â€
Len: â€œYour bottom is the top.â€
Erin: â€œDo you want me to smack you now or later?â€
Val: â€œI just wanted to use a big word.â€
Next week the celebrities will be back with their original partners. Also someone is going home. Who will it be? You never know. Itâ€™s a very fierce competition. See you next week.
Dancing with the Stars airs on Mondays at 8/7c on ABC.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Dennis Heaton Talks The Imperfects
Longtime readers at TV Goodness will know that Motive is one of my ride-or-die series, and as such, I am fiercely loyal to its creator, Dennis Heaton. He followed up that fantastic reverse procedural with Netflix’s The Order and is back on our streaming screens with The Imperfects, which dropped…
Kelly McCormack Talks Favorite Moments in A League of Their Own
[Warning: Mild spoilers for season 1.] Now that you’ve had a chance to watch A League of Their Own, here’s the rest of my chat with Kelly McCormack about her favorite moments of the season. Seeing the iconic Peaches uniforms for the first time wasn’t just a goosebump moment for…
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People [streaming on Global TV in Canada and Roku…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…