Supernatural Preview: Thoughts on “Road Trip” and 6 Reasons to Watch “First Born” [VIDEO]
Tonight’s a new episode of Supernatural — and since I wasn’t able to post a recap of last week’s wonderful mid-season premiere (I am so sorry about that), I thought I’d share my thoughts about it in this preview and then talk about why I’m excited for “First Born.”
The real Sam came back (yay!). So did Tahmoh Penikett (finally!). Cas was all powered up and back helping Dean (loved this!). And Crowley got to team up with an angel and a hunter. Plus, Abaddon was in this episode that was abundant on extra crackling high quality snark especially of the Crowley variety (must see favorite quotes below). We learned Metatron put the kibosh on prophets so no follow-ups to Kevin Tran…at least for now. I wonder if we’ll get another one ever again or if this show is out of the prophet business for good. Poor Dean has to make a deal with the devil (Crowley) in order to save Sam. In “Road Trip,” he let the King of Hell into his brother’s head in order to get Sam’s attention and let him know that he needed to cast Gadreel out. Once again, it’s clear Dean will do anything for his brother. Was Dean right to save his brother at any cost? Will Sam appreciate it? Some random recappy thoughts and a whole mess of favorite quotes:
- Loved the beginning of the episode set to the tune of Bob Seger’s “The Famous Final Scene.” Seger’s voice sounds so good on this show. I still love when they used “Beautiful Loser” in the “Exile on Main St.” episode.
- I guess Kevin’s really gone. He got himself a hunter’s funeral complete with pyre. And Dean was all broken up looking at his buddy’s picture on his cell phone and tearing up the MOL bunker. The guilt is so there. And he has to go through it all alone since Sam’s gone too.
- I wasn’t a fan of the actor who played rock star angel Corey/Thaddeus.
- Cas showing up at the bunker was awesome. Although his new trench coat is a little off. So glad Cas was able to give Dean a viable option to get Sam back.
- Heaven really does sound a lot like hell. Thaddeus tortured Gadreel much like Alistair tortured Dean. I still can’t get used to Heaven being as much of a mess as hell.
- Loved Cas’ new ride but I’m not going to lie, it was better when the Impala was reunited with Dean.
- You know, I was really all about the dialogue in this episode. The dialogue and getting Sam back. And finally how Dean felt it was the right thing to do to separate himself from the group.
- Sam has every right to be pissed. But I keep going back to last season when he told Dean he wanted to take on the trials. He said and I quote: “Closing the gates. It’s a suicide mission for you. I want to slam hell shut too, okay? But I want to survive it. I want to live. And so should you.” And I know the trials were hard on his mind and body. But I loved that Sam was all about surviving it. And so when he’s talking about being ready to die this season. I just don’t know where that’s coming from. Then what was the point of having Sam do the trials?
- And now we have Dean thinking he’s poison to everyone around him. And I understand why he feels that way. I think Sam’s felt that way as well over the years. But what I really dug was Sam’s response. He tells Dean to go. That he’s not going to stop him from going off on his solo quest to hunt down Gadreel. My thoughts on Sam’s thoughts? I feel like he was saying that Dean should go, which will give him enough time to rest up. And get healed. And when he’s all better he’ll join his brother. Sam will let Dean have his alone time now, but he shouldn’t get used to it. They’re brothers. And they always will be. Was I reading too much into that “just go?” I don’t care. Reading in between the lines is a dangerous job but someone has to do it.
- I love end-of-the-episode Winchester brother conversations. They are always ripe for analysis. And I particularly loved this one because even though Cas didn’t say a word during this exchange, he looked like he was hurting for Dean and what he was saying. By the way — the Dean/Cas “we’re a couple of dumbasses” conversation was mighty awesome as well.
Favorite Quotes from “Road Trip”
Writer: Andrew Dabb (bravo to Dabb for writing such a crackling good script)
Thaddeus: “Why be an angel when you can be a god?”
Dean: “Cas. Now, look at you. All suited up and back in the game.”
Dean: “God, I was so damn stupid.” Cas: “You were stupid for the right reasons.” Dean: “Yeah, like that matters.” Cas: “Yeah, it does. Sometimes that’s all that matters.”
Cas: “What do you want then?” Crowley: “Well, for starters, a massage. Between the sitting and the shackles a body gets a little stiff.” Dean: “Yeah, I ain’t rubbing you.” Crowley: “God no. Get Kevin. His tiny fists can really work wonder…” Cas: “Kevin is dead.” Crowley: “Oh. Sorry to hear it.” Cas: “Don’t pretend you care. You tried to kill him.” Crowley: “I told him this was gonna happen. I was the only person who tried to warn him. I told him to run.” Dean: “From what?” Crowley: “You. How many times am I gonna have to say this? People in your general vicinity don’t have much in the way of a life span.”
Crowley: “The poor giant baby is in trouble again, isn’t he?”
Crowley: “Really? What are you, a pimp?” Cas: “I like it.”
Crowley: “Riddle me this, boy wonder. Why do you need the wheels?” Cas: “When you betray us, I’ll be the one to carve out your heart.” Crowley: “Oh, Cas. Such a flirt.”
Crowley: “Shotgun.” Dean: “Uh, wrong. You’re in the back. (Cas smiles) Hey — you too. Keep an eye on him.” (Crowley smiles)
(Crowley and Cas get in the back seat) Crowley: “Watch the leg!” Cas: “You’re on my side.” Dean: “Hey! Hey!”
Dean: “Your source is in here?” Crowley: “And she can track anything you need. Even our little lost Samantha.”
Crowley: “The U.S. Government is quite the voyeur these days.”
Cas: “Looking for terrorists?” Crowley: “Looking for marks, slow boat.”
Cecily: “That was Dean Winchester and…Castiel?” Crowley: “Yes, I know. Without the tie he’s barely recognizable. It’s so…” Cecily: “Hot. I mean, Human Castiel? Eh. But Feathered Castiel. (exhales sharply).”
Cecily: “Oh that “B” with an “itch” ain’t the boss.”
Gadreel: “I allowed you to live.” Dean: “Mistake.”
Dean: “How are you doing?” Cas: “You want to talk about me, now?”
Dean: “Yeah, I got played.” Cas: “I thought I was saving Heaven. I got played, too.” Dean: “So you’re saying we’re both a couple of dumbasses?” Cas: “I prefer the word ‘trusting.’ Less dumb. Less ass.” Crowley: “Laverne. Shirley. Get in here.”
Crowley: “Just call me Plan C.”
Crowley: “Besides I don’t want to be inside your brother any longer than I have to. I’m not one for sloppy seconds.”
Crowley: “Eat me.”
Crowley: “Poughkeepsie.” Sam: “How do you know that word?” Crowley: “Because Dean sent me, Bullwinkle. The real Dean.”
Sam: “Did I kill Kevin?” Crowley: “No, you didn’t. He did. You need to take control, Sam. Blow it up and cast that punk-ass holy roller out!”
Crowley: “His name is Gadreel. The original chump.” Gadreel: “Was a chump.”
Metatron (to Gadreel): “Let me guess. Winchester trouble?”
Crowley: “I’m fine. Thanks for asking.”
Crowley: “Go. The back door. I’ll handle this.” Dean: “Oh ’cause you’re such a good guy?” Crowley: “Right now I’m the goodest guy you got.”
Dean: “This don’t make us square. I see you again…” Crowley: “I’m dead. Yes, I know. I love you, too. Pleasure doing business with you boys as always.”
Crowley (to Abaddon): “Hello, darling.”
Crowley: “But now? Good news, fellas. Daddy’s home.”
Crowley: “See, the demons have a choice. Take orders from the world’s angriest ginger — and that’s saying something. Or join my team, where everyone gets a say, a virgin — and all the entrails they can eat. So think on this, lads. Spread the word. Vote Crowley.”
Dean: “All right, let me hear it.” Sam: “What do you want me to say? That I’m pissed? Okay I am. I’m pissed. You lied to me. Again.” Dean: “I didn’t have a choice.” Sam: “I was ready to die, Dean.” Dean: “I know. But I wouldn’t let you. Because that’s not in me.” Sam: “So, what? You just decide to trick me into being possessed by some…psycho angel?” Dean: “He saved your life.” Sam: “So what? I was willing to die. And now…Kevin.” Dean: “No, that is not on you. Kevin’s blood is on my hands. And that ain’t ever gettin’ clean. I’ll burn for that. I will. But I’ll find Gadreel. And I will end that son of a b–ch. But I’ll do it alone. Sam: “What’s that supposed to mean?” Dean: “Come on, man. Can’t you see? I’m…I’m poison, Sam. People get close to me, they get killed or worse. You know, I tell myself that I…I…I help more people than I hurt. And I tell myself that I’m doing it all for the right reasons. And I…I believe that. But I can’t…I can’t drag anybody through the muck with me anymore.” Sam: “Go. I’m not gonna stop you. But don’t go thinking that’s the problem ’cause it’s not.” Dean: “What’s that supposed to mean?” Sam: “Just go.”
OK now on to tonight’s “First Born.”
The CW Synopsis:Â Looking to reclaim his place as King of Hell, Crowley (Mark Sheppard) asks Dean (Jensen Ackles) for help finding â€œThe First Blade,â€ the only blade that can kill Abbadon (guest star Alaina Huffman). Knowing he owes Crowley a favor for helping Sam (Jared Padalecki), and also wanting Abaddon dead himself, Dean reluctantly agrees and the two set off on a road trip. However, Dean and Crowley are completely unprepared when they find out who has the blade â€” Cain (guest star Tim Omundson), the first son. Meanwhile, Sam is back at the bunker with Castiel (Misha Collins) who notices there is some leftover grace inside Sam. If they can extract it, they can use the grace to track Gadreel. The only problem is the procedure may do permanent damage to Sam. John Badham directed the episode written by Robbie Thompson.
Reasons why I’m super excited for this episode:
1. Timothy Omundson guest stars. You guys, if you’re not watching Psych, you should. Omundson is so ridiculously funny on this show. He’s going to fit in perfectly into the Supernatural realm. I hope they let him use his comedic skills since his skills are mad awesome. I love his scruffy look. Well, okay, it’s more than scruffy. He’s downright hairy and beard-y. The fact that he’s playing Cain is epic. Plus, the man is proficient on Twitter. Back in November, he teased a fight scene involving Dean:
â€” Timothy Omundson (@Omundson) November 14, 2013
And Omundson’s been known to stop by a karaoke night at a Supernatural convention or two, a fact which already makes him familiar with much of this fandom. So am I excited for this particular guest star appearance? Hell. Yes. How long before he’s invited to be a guest at one of the conventions, huh?
2. John Badham guest directs. I mean, seriously? Badham is directing an episode of Supernatural? I just love the people this show draws into its universe. Badham has directed such flicks as Saturday Night Fever (please put Dean in a white ’70s-style suit, please). He’s directed War Games and Short Circuit. And so many other movies I’ve spent time sitting in a theater to see.
3. The chance for a crossover hashtag. I’ve already seen Omundson use the crossover hashtag #SuperPsych much the way Orlando Jones has utilized the #SuperSleepy hashtag for his Supernatural/Sleepy Hollow tweeting. Although, really. Wouldn’t it be great if Jared, Jensen and Misha actually guest starred on Psych one day? I would love to see that.
4. Sam and Cas scenes. As much as I worship Dean and Cas quality time, I’m definitely going to be interested in seeing how Sam and Cas operate without Dean. What will they talk about? Will they bond? Will they open up to each other? Inquiring minds want to know.
5. Dean unhinged. I don’t know if he’s actually going to be unhinged. But he’s guilt-ridden. He’s teaming up with Crowley again. This can’t go well, right? I love how Jensen continually blows my mind when it comes to depicting Dean’s mindset at any given time. So I’m definitely looking forward to see what we’re going to get in “First Born.” After all, he is the first born Winchester brother.
6. Sam being relatively healthy for the first time in just about a year. I’m so glad we finally get Sam back. I think he was gone WAY too long. And he hasn’t been completely healthy in longer than that. It’s time to make him okay again. Let’s hope that happens.
So will Dean and Sam be reunited in “First Born?” Find out when Supernatural airs tonight at 9/8c on the CW.
“First Born” Promo
“First Born” Clip
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Dennis Heaton Talks The Imperfects
Longtime readers at TV Goodness will know that Motive is one of my ride-or-die series, and as such, I am fiercely loyal to its creator, Dennis Heaton. He followed up that fantastic reverse procedural with Netflix’s The Order and is back on our streaming screens with The Imperfects, which dropped…
Kelly McCormack Talks Favorite Moments in A League of Their Own
[Warning: Mild spoilers for season 1.] Now that you’ve had a chance to watch A League of Their Own, here’s the rest of my chat with Kelly McCormack about her favorite moments of the season. Seeing the iconic Peaches uniforms for the first time wasn’t just a goosebump moment for…
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People [streaming on Global TV in Canada and Roku…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…