Deception Season Finale Preview: “I’ll Start with the Hillbilly” [PHOTOS]
[WARNING: Spoilers for season finale]
Tonight is the season 1 finale of NBC’s Deception. This news saddens me because it has developed into one of my must-see shows of the week for a number of reasons:Â
- Tate Donovan. If you weren’t totally in love with the character of Edward Bowers at the beginning of the series, you’d have to be by now. If you’re not watching this show at all, then you’re missing another great performance from the actor. From the get go you think Edward’s going to be the bad guy. He’s not. Or at least we don’t think. He is damaged though. I really learned to love the Edward-Samantha marriage as well. It wasn’t what I expected.
- Mia Bowers. I thought Mia was going to be another troubled TV teen I was going to totally despise. It’s so refreshing to find out that I not only believe every sarcastic response or out there reaction she has when faced with the hot mess that is her family, but I feel like she has every right to act out. Yet she manages to be a bit wild and mature at the same time. She’s almost the only sane one in her family. I really think that Ella Rae Beck has done a fantastic job as Mia.
- The Will / Joanna / Julian Triangle. Talk about hot. Both guys in this scenario are beautiful. You don’t blame Joanna for being torn. Each relationship is complicated. I go back and forth on which pairing I like. That’s not only a testament to the writing but to the chemistry that exists between Meagan Good and Wes Brown as well as Good and Laz Alonso.Â However, I’m not going to lie. Right now I love the fact that Joanna and Julian are going hot and heavy. They’re one of my favorite TV couples.
- The murder mystery. I don’t know about you guys but this show has kept me guessing as to who murdered Vivian. Â The killer isn’t obvious.Â That’s always a good thing.
- Badass characters and moments. How badass is Katherine LaNasa as Sofia? She’s downright scary and seems to treat her family and its business like it were the mafia. Robert [Victor Garber] is pretty dark and deliciously evil as well. But with both characters, they sometimes (on the rare occasion) exude a vulnerability that’s shocking to see. These characters are all so damaged but I love seeing the different ways they deal with the precarious situations they find themselves in the middle of. And I think my favorite badass moment was when Joanna’s mother (who exhibits a mild case of Alzheimers) stood up to Robert. He was trying to play her and she wasn’t having it. So. Great.
- The flashbacks. They inform the show. And where on another series I would be hitting fast forward, I was riveted by the flashbacks on Deception. I loved seeing a young Joanna with her first (forbidden) love, Julian. I loved seeing what Vivian was like when she was young as well as shortly before she died. I was hoping we’d get to see some of Bree Williamson [One Life to Live, Haven] on this show other than being murdered in the pilot and through the magic of flashbacks, we have.
I’m super excited for tonight’s finale because we are allegedly about to find out who killed Vivian. Now the audience will find out. How many of the characters will?
Synopsis for “I’ll Start with the Hillbilly”:Â Edward makes a tough decision regarding his wife’s condition and seeks revenge. Vivian’s murder case is reopened as new information comes out, and the identity of her murderer is revealed.
PHOTOS from the season finale:
The season 1 finale of Deception — “I’ll start with the Hillbilly” — airs tonight on NBC at 10/9c. I wish the network would give Deception a second season renewal. Unfortunately, the series is ratings challenged so we’ll see.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
Interview: Henri Esteve on Grown-ish Season 3
An interview with Henri Esteve, who plays Javi on Freeform’s Grown-ish. He talks about his season three experience.
For All Mankind Season 2: Talking with Wrenn Schmidt, Krys Marshall, Jodi Balfour, and Sonya Walger [Exclusive]
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the hooks of For All Mankind is that it’s very much a story about the women of NASA. In Season 2, we explore the journeys of the women in the program, either through their own service or through their family affiliations. Four of those…
Rosy McEwen Talks The Alienist: Angel of Darkness Season Finale [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers for the season finale episodes.] How’s everyone after that finale? I will freely admit I got a little misty in episode eight as John told Sara why he loved her, and later that he wanted her despite what he might forfeit, and then at the end when he…
Rosy McEwen Talks The Alienist: Angel of Darkness [Exclusive]
Hands down, one of the best surprises of The Alienist: Angel of Darkness is that the serial killer this season has been front and center alongside the cast as a fully-formed character. We’ve watched Libby Hatch devolve from a prim, mild-mannered nurse to a woman in a rage hell-bent on…
The Alienist: Angel of Darkness Relationship Recap: John and Sara
[Warning: Spoilers for “Belly of the Beast” and “Memento Mori”] If you’ve read me for a while (thank you!), you know two things — I lean way, way in on the characters I adore and I loathe love geometry arcs. So, I’m torn about where we are and where we…
Louriza Tronco Talks The Order Season 2 [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers ahead for Season 2.] The Order’s second season is dark yet delightful entertainment on many levels, and one of its biggest sources of joy and snark is the sassy Gabrielle Dupres. Last season, she was assertive and deadly and fairly annoyed with the world. This season, she’s been…
Previewing Netflix’s Virgin River
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] Full disclosure: I have a Netflix account for my Mom, but I’m not a regular viewer. If I get a heads up on something, I’ll go look for it, but I don’t have a wander across its offerings, which, as I understand it, is how most…
Final Thoughts From the Killjoys Team [Exclusive]
This is the day of the week I’d normally hit you up with a Killjoys preview, but now that we’ve put the series to bed and released Team Awesome Force into the wild, I have one more treat for you–some final thoughts excerpted from my conversations with the Killjoys folks….
Michelle Lovretta Talks Wrapping Up Killjoys [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers for the series finale.] To quote Miss Jackson, “That’s the end?” Yes, friends, it is. And like I promised you, everything would be, was, and is alright. I went to the Killjoys source, series creator Michelle Lovretta, who wrote the last episode, to break down that delicious finale….
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…