2012 Most Memorable Episodes: Person of Interest “Many Happy Returns”
Episode: “Many Happy Returns”
Airdate: May 3, 2012
Teleplay: Erik Mountain
Story: Erik Mountain & Jonathan Nolan
The Person of Interest episode “Many Happy Returns” is one of those hours of television so good I wish I could erase my short term memory and watch it for the first time all over again.
What I loved:
- It was John’s birthday and Finch knew it. He gave Reese a key and didn’t tell him what door the key opened — at first.
- Finch gave John the day off — which I really think threw Reese off big time. He didn’t know what to do with himself. So, of course, he got himself involved with the case.
- Finch’s reasoning for giving John the day off was a case that may have triggered some issues in Reese. But like he’s wont to do, Reese finds about it anyway and actually saves Finch from a hairy situation with Marshall Jennings. Finch and Reese look out for each other.
- Clueless Agent Donnelly is on the scent for the “man in the suit” and enlists Carter to go to New Rochelle where there’s a lead. I love how Donnelly has no idea about Carter’s alliance with Reese. This is still going on to this day.
- There was a Finch/Carter meet-up which is rare on this show.
- The flashbacks delve into what happened to Reese’s love of his life, Jessica. Her husband abused her and ultimately killed her.
- There’s a scene where Reese enters the U.S. Marshall’s office and proceeds to go all medieval on the abusive husband of the number of the week. In the process, he takes down the marshalls who get in his way.
- Finch is in fear of how far Reese will go to get justice. But we find out that Reese’s idea of justice is much worse than death. It’s a one-way ticket to a Mexican prison on trumped up drug charges. There’s no way Marshall Jennings — or Jessica’s husband — are ever getting out of there. So cold yet so awesome. Reese definitely has a few surprises up his sleeve.
- Carter learns about Reese’s past and she shreds all records. Love that Carter recognizes John’s a good man and is firmly entrenched as one of his allies.
- “Many Happy Returns has my favorite music cue of last season when Revenge (by Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse ft. Flaming Lips) ushered the end of the episode.
- Finch gives Reese the other part of his gift — the address which is Reese’s new apartment. It overlooks the park where he plays chess with the blind Asian man.
- At the beginning of the hour, Reese is at the nurse’s station at the hospital and receives the news that Jessica died. He walks away and bumps into someone in a wheelchair — that person says “sorry.” At the very end of “Many Happy Returns,” we find out that the man in the chair was Finch. Reese had a brush with Finch before he even knew it. Such a brilliant way to end the episode.
What was even more special about this episode was that I originally saw it with a group of other POI fans at a Paley Center panel that celebrated the show. The cast was there and it was wonderful. I watched “Many Happy Returns” again a little later and it was as good as the first time.
Person of Interest returns with new episodes this Thursday, January 3.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
Interview: Henri Esteve on Grown-ish Season 3
An interview with Henri Esteve, who plays Javi on Freeform’s Grown-ish. He talks about his season three experience.
For All Mankind Season 2: Talking with Wrenn Schmidt, Krys Marshall, Jodi Balfour, and Sonya Walger [Exclusive]
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the hooks of For All Mankind is that it’s very much a story about the women of NASA. In Season 2, we explore the journeys of the women in the program, either through their own service or through their family affiliations. Four of those…
Rosy McEwen Talks The Alienist: Angel of Darkness Season Finale [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers for the season finale episodes.] How’s everyone after that finale? I will freely admit I got a little misty in episode eight as John told Sara why he loved her, and later that he wanted her despite what he might forfeit, and then at the end when he…
Rosy McEwen Talks The Alienist: Angel of Darkness [Exclusive]
Hands down, one of the best surprises of The Alienist: Angel of Darkness is that the serial killer this season has been front and center alongside the cast as a fully-formed character. We’ve watched Libby Hatch devolve from a prim, mild-mannered nurse to a woman in a rage hell-bent on…
The Alienist: Angel of Darkness Relationship Recap: John and Sara
[Warning: Spoilers for “Belly of the Beast” and “Memento Mori”] If you’ve read me for a while (thank you!), you know two things — I lean way, way in on the characters I adore and I loathe love geometry arcs. So, I’m torn about where we are and where we…
Louriza Tronco Talks The Order Season 2 [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers ahead for Season 2.] The Order’s second season is dark yet delightful entertainment on many levels, and one of its biggest sources of joy and snark is the sassy Gabrielle Dupres. Last season, she was assertive and deadly and fairly annoyed with the world. This season, she’s been…
Previewing Netflix’s Virgin River
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] Full disclosure: I have a Netflix account for my Mom, but I’m not a regular viewer. If I get a heads up on something, I’ll go look for it, but I don’t have a wander across its offerings, which, as I understand it, is how most…
Final Thoughts From the Killjoys Team [Exclusive]
This is the day of the week I’d normally hit you up with a Killjoys preview, but now that we’ve put the series to bed and released Team Awesome Force into the wild, I have one more treat for you–some final thoughts excerpted from my conversations with the Killjoys folks….
Michelle Lovretta Talks Wrapping Up Killjoys [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers for the series finale.] To quote Miss Jackson, “That’s the end?” Yes, friends, it is. And like I promised you, everything would be, was, and is alright. I went to the Killjoys source, series creator Michelle Lovretta, who wrote the last episode, to break down that delicious finale….
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…