Rizzoli & Isles Preview: The Summer Finale “Melt My Heart to Stone” [PHOTOS]
Apparently time decided to speed up in a majorly annoying way because, all of a sudden, the summer finale for TNT’s Rizzoli & Isles is about to debut. While the cases the cop and the medical examiner investigated in this first part of season 3 have been somewhat interesting, I’ve mainly been paying attention to the personal lives of Jane Rizzoli and Dr. Maura Isles. My three favorite storylines that put some sizzle into this summer:
1) Rizzoli vs. Isles: I loved loved loved the way the second season ended and what it meant for season 3. Because Jane shot Maura’s bio dad, Paddy Doyle, the two started out the season on unfriendly terms. I wish the animosity had lasted a little bit longer, but I liked how the two had to work their way back to each other.
2) Maura meets her mom: First of all, Sharon Lawrence was perfectly cast as Maura’s biological mom. It’s a sad story. Hope never knew her child had lived so she never knew there was someone out there to be missed. Maura tracking down Hope was such a good thing for the character. It put her into this whole new situation and it ended up wreaking havoc with her emotions. She seemed more vulnerable than ever before. It was nice to see her not so perfectly put together. It was cool to see her life be so messy, for a change.
3) Jane’s ex comes back into the picture: I wanted to write off this whole story as one big clichÃ©, but I fell for it anyway. Casey (Chris Vance) came back to town and didn’t let Jane know. It turns out he was seriously injured in Afghanistan and he didn’t want to be a burden to her. I originally thought I was into Jane and FBI Special Agent Gabriel Dean (Billy Burke) but now I’m rooting for Jane and Casey.
Honorable Mention: While I do love Lorraine Bracco, I’ve always felt that the show has tried too hard to fit her into the mix. This season, I really loved her presence. I wasn’t too happy with the Lydia story but who cares when there’s such a great chemistry that exists between Bracco and both Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander. I like how Angela’s basically treating Maura like another daughter.
The TNT Synopsis for the Summer Finale “Melt My Heart to Stone”: When a statue breaks open to reveal a dead woman inside, Jane and Maura must find the killer quickly as the body count begins to rise. Back at headquarters, a new homicide detective is named to the squad. Meanwhile, Dennis Rockmond (guest star Eddie Cibrian) returns to Boston after disappearing on Maura and tries to woo her back. Lydia goes into labor. Colin Egglesfield, Daniella Alonso and Alexandra Holden also guest-star.
Some things I’m wondering about the summer finale:
- What affect will Eddie Cibrian’s return have on Maura? I’m not quite sure about Dennis and Maura. I definitely want her to have a love interest but the jury’s still out.
- How big is the ending going to be? Are we going to be left with a cliffhanger? So much has already gone on this season (Jane’s kidnapping, Lydia’s pregnancy, Maura’s mom issue and her wanting to give up her kidney for her half sister). I cannot wait to see if the show goes out with a bang and we’re left wanting season 3 to continue pronto.
- Will Frankie be the new homicide detective?
- Will Tommy be the father of Lydia’s baby? It says Colin Egglesfield will be in the episode so he just might be the baby daddy. By the way, I love whenever Egglesfield is on the show. Can it be more? He’s my favorite of Jane’s brothers.
The Rizzoli & Isles summer finale airs tomorrow night at 9/8c on TNT.
More Photos from “Melt My Heart to Stone” [Photo Credit: Darren Michaels/TNT]
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People [streaming on Global TV in Canada and Roku…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…