On May 1, 2012, CBS’ hit new series, Person of Interest, earned its own evening at The Paley Center. The latest episode was screened, which turned out to be one of the best episodes of the season. It completely worked on all levels. Watching “Many Happy Returns” as a group was a great experience. The fans who gathered in the Center’s theatre, laughed together; applauded in some oh so appropriate places; and were treated to a suspenseful, funny, dark, action-packed rollercoaster ride. The panel was very entertaining as well. It was fun to see all the personalities; and it’s clear that Jim Caviezel and Michael Emerson have fun working together.
Diane Gordon, Editor-in-Chief, The Surf Report
The Person of Interest Panel:
What We Learned:
- Taraji P. Henson (Detective Joss Carter) wasn’t able to be part of the panel because she was shooting a film in Atlanta.
- The producers want fans to make up their own minds on whether the presence of cameras on this show (which are everywhere and are watching all the time) is a positive or negative thing.
- Before Person of Interest, Kevin Chapman starred with Jim Caviezel in a film called Unknown — although they didn’t have any scenes together. And he did a couple episodes of Lost, although he never had any scenes with Michael Emerson.
- A volcano eruption in Iceland — and Kiefer Sutherland — gave Caviezel plenty of time to figure out he wanted to do more television — as long as it was another show like 24. Caviezel and Sutherland were stuck in London after the eruption made it impossible to fly back to the U.S. for a while, which provided them ample opportunity to hang out and talk.
- They would love to have Enrico Colantoni (Elias) back on the show. After all, he’s not dead. So he could always return.
- The most challenging and rewarding thing for Caviezel as far as working on Person of Interest is keeping up with the pace of the show.
- The most challenging thing for Emerson is the fact his character is the bearer of much of the exposition of the show. But he sees it as a great opportunity, because it often sets the stage for when Finch can actually get out of the library trying to do what Reese does. But Finch isn’t as good at it. Oh and Michael loved the baby episode (“Baby Blue”).
- Loved this quote in which the panel talks about Person of Interest shooting out in New York and all that entails: “It’s not a show, it’s a sport.” That was the show’s Director of Photography that came up with that.
- The writers come up with so many challenging action scenes but, there was one time, they were told no way. And that’s when writer Denise ThÃ© wanted a Miami Vice-like boat chase scene in the script. But it was winter and the water was frozen, so no go.
- The cast and crew see New York City as another star of the show. The New Yorkers are often unimpressed with them since the production tends to briefly take over the neighborhoods where they shoot. There was one time when Caviezel as Reese punched two bodyguards and a New Yorker told them they needed to call the police. There was another guy who came up to Caviezel and said how much he “loved his effin’ show.” And Jim responded with: “Great. You’re in it right now.” People wander into the shots all the time. They do have a blooper reel but it’s under lock and key.
- Caviezel can’t get any spoilers out of the producers. He even resorted to taking the guys to a hockey game and they still didn’t tell him anything. So bribery definitely didn’t work in this case.
- About his character being able to break people in half? Caviezel can’t do it in real life. “It’s all fiction.”
- However, he’s gone through a massive amount of training to become the badass John Reese we’ve come to know and love. He’s trained with select Navy Seals and guys that trained in Mossad. Wow. Awesome.
- We learned that loyal, faithful POI fans call themselves The Irrelevants.
- When Michael Emerson read the character description from the pilot it said something like Finch was mentally and emotionally scarred. He knew whatever he came up with for that heâ€™d have to do it for the entire series and so he made sure not to contort his body. So, Emerson came up with the limp for the character. And he was so convincing that Caviezel thought Michael really had a limp. When he realized he didn’t he thought his Jesus powers had healed Michael. Hilarious since Caviezel’s best known for playing Jesus Christ in The Passion of the Christ.
- According to Emerson, Finch isn’t happy with having Fusco on board, although he’s occasionally useful. But he’s also a liability.
- Emerson and Caviezel never met until their first scene in the pilot. But they both agree things are working out. According to Jim: “I can’t help but love this guy. I can’t tell him that.”
- Could there be a Person of Interest movie someday? It’s a good idea. But, really, the show is so inherently cinematic as it is. They try to make a movie every week.
Person of Interest airs Thursdays at 9/8c on CBS. The penultimate episode of this exciting first season airs tonight with the finale airing Thursday May 17.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People, which US audiences still have not been able…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…