Brad and Jane Talk Dirty + Other Happy Endings “Big White Lies” Awesomeness
I can’t believe this is the penultimate episode of the season, but I have to say I love that Happy Endings is going out like this. There were so many great moments that I had a very hard time choosing what to focus on. So let’s sample some of what made this an awesome episode.Brad and Jane Talk Dirty
Brad: “Tell me what you want.”
Jane: “You know what I want.”
Brad: “Say it. I want to hear you say it.”
Jane: “I want a porch.”
Jane: “A big wide porch with weathered shingles.”
Brad: “Oh yeah. And a dock. A dark pine dock that goes on forever.”
There’s nothing I don’t love about Brad and Jane. They are so strange and awesome together. I love that they’re getting so hot under the collar talking about a lake house – a lake house they don’t even own.
Guest Star Goodness
Mary Elizabeth EllisÂ plays Daphne Wilson, a childhood friend of the gang. I loved watching her literally corner Penny, then Brad, then Jane, then Alex. And they all feel like they have to be nice to her, which is how they all get into so much trouble in the first place.
Ben Falcone‘s landlord Darren is very jealous of the crazy bachelor lifestyle Max and Dave are living right under his nose. He wants a piece of their action and he’s going to punish them until they cut him in.
Since Penny has committed the group to a lie about Brad and Jane’s lake house (amongst other things), Alex has to find a place to stay so she won’t be seen by Daphne. So when she shows up and Dave and Max’s, she has a suggestion:
Alex: “But it’ll be like Three’s Company. I’ll be adorable Chrissy and Max can be hilarious Jack and you’ll be Janet.”
Um, genius. I love that Alex makes Dave Janet and that he gets all standoffish about it. And then Darren comes to knock on their door.
Brad Gets Ambushed… Well, He Ends Up in the Bushes
Daphne sneaks up on Brad and starts bombarding him with questions about Jane. He doesn’t pick the best lies to answer her multitude of inquires so when Daphne jumps to the conclusion that Jane’s pregnant Brad feels like he has to confirm her suspicions. He may have felt pressure to lie because he was cornered. Literally.
More Great Lines:
- “Oh my God. A tea party sounds amahzing but I have a girl scout meeting I totally can’t reschedj.”
- “So little, in fact, the mice there are like ‘Wassup. It’s crowded up in here yo.'” “They have little mice that can speak?” “No, it’s just a turn of phrase.”
- “I, on the other hand, would love to take you out sometime. Like a lady. Like a gentleman. Like I would be the gentleman and you would be the lady.”
- “Not cool Penny. Why’d you have to say our lake house is little? Now she’ll think we have to hang our beach cruisers from hooks in the kitchen like savages.”
- “The only people who can get away with being mean are rock stars or brain surgeons or Mr. Phil.” “You mean Dr. Phil.” “Come on it’s a Ph.D. Everybody calm down.”
- “Then whose purse is this?” “Uh, that’s um that’s mine. I told you Darren I am a gay man.” “Are you? Because I’ve had my eye on you and you don’t seem very gay to me.” “Well I am homosexual. Super gay.” “You had better be. I don’t know why I care so much but I do. I do.”
- “Why are you nervous? You are gay.” “I know but you know that I love low stakes classic 80s sitcom danger.”
- “Stop drinking wine and eating soft cheese. You’re pregnant.” “Dammit everyone’s life is moving on but mine.”
- “Alex is already throwing me one… tomorrow.” “Wow. Why so early?” “Serbian tradition. We always do things early because we never know when we’re gonna have to pack up and murder a populace.” “I love cultural traditions.”
- “Yay! Wait.” “Great. I’m gonna have a baby shower.” “Yay! Wait. Wait! Hmm.”
- “Oh God. Daphne’s here. She cannot know I’m behind this.” “The plan or the counter?” “Both.”
- “Oh no you’re ambivalent.” “Huh?” “And I know why. Seeing Jane married and pregnant has made you regret turning down the world’s greatest guy.” “John Krasinski?” “Dave! I always had the biggest crush on him.” “John Krasinski?” “No, Dave.”
- “Hey, I’m not just some blonde. I’m a bottle blonde.”
- “Dammit! You couldn’t have led him on until he fixed our stove? That’s what Chrissy would’ve done.” “Max life is not like Three’s Company. Uh! There’s that pesky Daphne. Hide.”
- “I call it my lie bible. Or my libel.” “Idiot. Libel is already another thing.” “Dude you’re trying to patent triscuit.”
- “Who the fuzz was that?” “She’s a professional seat filler. Yeah, I paid them all $20 to mingle festively and respond to social cues plus they do get first dibs on centerpieces.”
- “What are you doing?” “I’m Ellen. Oh boy. I figure if I’ve gotta be a lesbian I might as well go straight to the top.”
- “Stop dancing.” “But he’s dancing.”
- “But I’ve learned my lesson. Nothing good ever comes from lying.” “Well, actually something good did come from it. It made us realize there’s something missing in our lives.” “We’ve not entirely ready, but I mean who is right? So… we’re just gonna go for it.” “Guys. We’re buying a lake house.” “Yes! We’re gonna be weekenders.”
The season 2 finale of Happy Endings airs Wednesday, April 4th at 9:30/8:30c on ABC.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People, which US audiences still have not been able…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…