TV Goodness Reports: Memorable Moments + Scoops from The CW’s The Vampire Diaries Panel @ PaleyFest 2012
WARNING: SPOILERS DISCUSSED
What can one say about a night devoted to all things The Vampire Diaries? It was fun, wild and loud (the sound of the screams was off the charts). They screened the March 15 episode for those seated inside the Saban Theatre for the ninth day of PaleyFest 2012. Julie Plec (and the stunning cast) vocalized their appreciation for the show’s loyal and fans. There was lots of laughter, sarcastic banter, a little scoop, and some great talk about those sizzling hot brothers — Damon and Stefan Salvatore. The sizable audience was treated to an unforgettable panel. The Moderator:
TV Guide Magazine’s Editor-in-Chief, Debra Birnbaum
Kat Graham, Bonnie Bennett
Matt Davis, Alaric Saltzman
Nina Dobrev, Elena Gilbert
Ian Somerhalder, Damon Salvatore
Julie Plec, Executive Producer
Paul Wesley, Stefan Salvatore
Candice Accola, Caroline Forbes
What We Learned
- People had been lined up since 9 a.m. to get into the theatre.
- Matt Davis is attached to his cell phone. Ian Somerhalder practically had to break out the jaws of life to pry the phone from his hands. Ian: “It’s like being on the set of The Vampire Diaries.”
- Executive Producer Julie Plec shared the fact that Davis has written fan fiction. She couldn’t talk about all of it because there’s one that is R-rated. The one she could talk about had Alaric teaching Damon a life lesson. She said it was great, but that won’t happen this season. Davis’ current muse? He said it was Tyler.
- The conversation veered to Paul Wesley’s wife, Torrey DeVitto, joining the show. How did she get the part of Dr. Meredith Fell? She auditioned and Plec was a big fan of Pretty Little Liars (where DeVitto plays Melissa). Somerhalder offered two words: “Casting. Couch.” Wesley said (joked?) he didn’t even know what a “casting couch” was.
- Wesley loved playing Bad Stefan. It was the most fun he had had in a while. In the episode that was screened (“1912”), Â he saw that Stefan was all reluctant to be bad. He doesn’t want Stefan to be all nice. He asked Julie Plec if Stefan is ever going to have a “medium” instead of Stefan’s usual all or nothing existence. Plec felt he will have to at a certain point.
- Favorite plot points? Kat: When Tyler turned into a hybrd. Matt: It’s about to come up so he won’t talk about it. Nina: When Elena stabbed Rebekah. Julie & Paul: Klaus and Stefan turned out to be friends back in the day. Candice: Loved the reveal of all The Originals confronting Klaus; Damon and Elena “macking”; and Caroline’s story with her dad and how she lost him when he made the difficult decision not to transition after being bitten.
- The challenge for Nina in playing a dual role (Elena & Katherine) is making them both “lovable, hate-able and kill-able.” And making them both different from each other.
- The applause/screams for the panel felt like it lasted for about five minutes. It was pretty epic.
- Somerhalder took a picture of an Ernesto Riley sign with his phone — the pic was up in the balcony so who know how that pictured turned out. Let’s hope he tweeted it.
- Kat Graham thanked everyone for shipping her character, even when it didn’t make sense.
- Talking about Paul’s wife, Ian told us how Matt was so excited that Alaric was going to get some and then it turned out it was going to be his buddy’s wife. Matt was horrified. Paul: “You were horrified?”
- At one point, when talking about the show’s main love triangle (Damon, Elena, Stefan), Nina Dobrev asked Plec if Elena could just go to Europe and meet new boys. Elena could go to Italy where more Salvatores live and that won’t bite her. “Can we have a Europe episode? Gossip Girl did,” said Dobrev.
- Ian told a story about how he almost didn’t get the role of Damon Salvatore. He had passed the studio test, but he choked when auditioning for the network. But he got another chance and the role became his. But he went through ten days of hell before learning he got the part.
- Plec has fantasies of a musical ep — especially since all the girls sing — but doesn’t know if they could ever actually do one.
- Various pairings were mentioned, including Elena and Elijah. Dobrev shared how the two characters have connected because they share the same morals. They definitely share a chemistry.
- Talking about Caroline and Klaus, Candice Accola wanted to remind everyone that Klaus is a bad dude. “He has a terrible Match.com profile.” Hilarious.
- Plec told the audience how Davis has taken to twitter to champion an Alaric/Elena pairing.
- Much talk revolved around the brothers — Damon and Stefan Salvatore — and how Plec has always said this show is the epic love story of these brothers. Both brothers have the capacity to explore their good and evil sides. Plec: “Damon is no more good than Stefan is evil.” But are they ever going to be friends? Plec hopes so. At the heart, these brothers are constantly trying to be heroes for each other.
Spoiler Section (do not read if you do not want to know)
- The March 15 TVD (“1912”) is just fantastic. There’s a huge revelation; lots of Matt and Elena goodness; and one of the best moments of the episode happens in a scene with brothers Stefan and Damon. It’s a rewind and repeat moment for sure.
- There was talk about the press photo that has been circulating showing Rebekah and a bloodied, strung up Damon. Apparently, Damon does something really bad to the Original that he has bedded, and she takes her revenge. They shot this at boxing great Evander Holyfield’s house in Atlanta. The house is so big it comes complete with a ballroom and a bowling alley.
- The rest of the Original’s will return. In fact, we haven’t seen the last of Esther’s plan.
- In dealing with Bonnie’s mom, we will get some Bonnie and Caroline quality time. They will have to work together.
- There will be a decent guy in Bonnie’s near future (Yay!!!).
- According to Plec, “1912” is a show case for “Team Salvatore.”
- The love triangle (Damon, Elena & Stefan) is going to come to a head. However, Plec cryptically told the audience: “Maybe not the head but a head for sure.” What does that mean?
- When asked if Elena would ever end up with a non-Salvatore, Plec ominously stated that this season, Elena has a choice to make.
The Vampire Diaries finally returns with new episodes March 15 at 8/7c on the CW.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People, which US audiences still have not been able…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…