TV Goodness Reports: Memorable Moments + Scoops from The CW’s The Vampire Diaries Panel @ PaleyFest 2012
WARNING: SPOILERS DISCUSSED
What can one say about a night devoted to all things The Vampire Diaries? It was fun, wild and loud (the sound of the screams was off the charts). They screened the March 15 episode for those seated inside the Saban Theatre for the ninth day of PaleyFest 2012. Julie Plec (and the stunning cast) vocalized their appreciation for the show’s loyal and fans. There was lots of laughter, sarcastic banter, a little scoop, and some great talk about those sizzling hot brothers — Damon and Stefan Salvatore. The sizable audience was treated to an unforgettable panel. The Moderator:
TV Guide Magazine’s Editor-in-Chief, Debra Birnbaum
Kat Graham, Bonnie Bennett
Matt Davis, Alaric Saltzman
Nina Dobrev, Elena Gilbert
Ian Somerhalder, Damon Salvatore
Julie Plec, Executive Producer
Paul Wesley, Stefan Salvatore
Candice Accola, Caroline Forbes
What We Learned
- People had been lined up since 9 a.m. to get into the theatre.
- Matt Davis is attached to his cell phone. Ian Somerhalder practically had to break out the jaws of life to pry the phone from his hands. Ian: “It’s like being on the set of The Vampire Diaries.”
- Executive Producer Julie Plec shared the fact that Davis has written fan fiction. She couldn’t talk about all of it because there’s one that is R-rated. The one she could talk about had Alaric teaching Damon a life lesson. She said it was great, but that won’t happen this season. Davis’ current muse? He said it was Tyler.
- The conversation veered to Paul Wesley’s wife, Torrey DeVitto, joining the show. How did she get the part of Dr. Meredith Fell? She auditioned and Plec was a big fan of Pretty Little Liars (where DeVitto plays Melissa). Somerhalder offered two words: “Casting. Couch.” Wesley said (joked?) he didn’t even know what a “casting couch” was.
- Wesley loved playing Bad Stefan. It was the most fun he had had in a while. In the episode that was screened (“1912”), Â he saw that Stefan was all reluctant to be bad. He doesn’t want Stefan to be all nice. He asked Julie Plec if Stefan is ever going to have a “medium” instead of Stefan’s usual all or nothing existence. Plec felt he will have to at a certain point.
- Favorite plot points? Kat: When Tyler turned into a hybrd. Matt: It’s about to come up so he won’t talk about it. Nina: When Elena stabbed Rebekah. Julie & Paul: Klaus and Stefan turned out to be friends back in the day. Candice: Loved the reveal of all The Originals confronting Klaus; Damon and Elena “macking”; and Caroline’s story with her dad and how she lost him when he made the difficult decision not to transition after being bitten.
- The challenge for Nina in playing a dual role (Elena & Katherine) is making them both “lovable, hate-able and kill-able.” And making them both different from each other.
- The applause/screams for the panel felt like it lasted for about five minutes. It was pretty epic.
- Somerhalder took a picture of an Ernesto Riley sign with his phone — the pic was up in the balcony so who know how that pictured turned out. Let’s hope he tweeted it.
- Kat Graham thanked everyone for shipping her character, even when it didn’t make sense.
- Talking about Paul’s wife, Ian told us how Matt was so excited that Alaric was going to get some and then it turned out it was going to be his buddy’s wife. Matt was horrified. Paul: “You were horrified?”
- At one point, when talking about the show’s main love triangle (Damon, Elena, Stefan), Nina Dobrev asked Plec if Elena could just go to Europe and meet new boys. Elena could go to Italy where more Salvatores live and that won’t bite her. “Can we have a Europe episode? Gossip Girl did,” said Dobrev.
- Ian told a story about how he almost didn’t get the role of Damon Salvatore. He had passed the studio test, but he choked when auditioning for the network. But he got another chance and the role became his. But he went through ten days of hell before learning he got the part.
- Plec has fantasies of a musical ep — especially since all the girls sing — but doesn’t know if they could ever actually do one.
- Various pairings were mentioned, including Elena and Elijah. Dobrev shared how the two characters have connected because they share the same morals. They definitely share a chemistry.
- Talking about Caroline and Klaus, Candice Accola wanted to remind everyone that Klaus is a bad dude. “He has a terrible Match.com profile.” Hilarious.
- Plec told the audience how Davis has taken to twitter to champion an Alaric/Elena pairing.
- Much talk revolved around the brothers — Damon and Stefan Salvatore — and how Plec has always said this show is the epic love story of these brothers. Both brothers have the capacity to explore their good and evil sides. Plec: “Damon is no more good than Stefan is evil.” But are they ever going to be friends? Plec hopes so. At the heart, these brothers are constantly trying to be heroes for each other.
Spoiler Section (do not read if you do not want to know)
- The March 15 TVD (“1912”) is just fantastic. There’s a huge revelation; lots of Matt and Elena goodness; and one of the best moments of the episode happens in a scene with brothers Stefan and Damon. It’s a rewind and repeat moment for sure.
- There was talk about the press photo that has been circulating showing Rebekah and a bloodied, strung up Damon. Apparently, Damon does something really bad to the Original that he has bedded, and she takes her revenge. They shot this at boxing great Evander Holyfield’s house in Atlanta. The house is so big it comes complete with a ballroom and a bowling alley.
- The rest of the Original’s will return. In fact, we haven’t seen the last of Esther’s plan.
- In dealing with Bonnie’s mom, we will get some Bonnie and Caroline quality time. They will have to work together.
- There will be a decent guy in Bonnie’s near future (Yay!!!).
- According to Plec, “1912” is a show case for “Team Salvatore.”
- The love triangle (Damon, Elena & Stefan) is going to come to a head. However, Plec cryptically told the audience: “Maybe not the head but a head for sure.” What does that mean?
- When asked if Elena would ever end up with a non-Salvatore, Plec ominously stated that this season, Elena has a choice to make.
The Vampire Diaries finally returns with new episodes March 15 at 8/7c on the CW.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
Interview: Henri Esteve on Grown-ish Season 3
An interview with Henri Esteve, who plays Javi on Freeform’s Grown-ish. He talks about his season three experience.
For All Mankind Season 2: Talking with Wrenn Schmidt, Krys Marshall, Jodi Balfour, and Sonya Walger [Exclusive]
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the hooks of For All Mankind is that it’s very much a story about the women of NASA. In Season 2, we explore the journeys of the women in the program, either through their own service or through their family affiliations. Four of those…
Rosy McEwen Talks The Alienist: Angel of Darkness Season Finale [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers for the season finale episodes.] How’s everyone after that finale? I will freely admit I got a little misty in episode eight as John told Sara why he loved her, and later that he wanted her despite what he might forfeit, and then at the end when he…
Rosy McEwen Talks The Alienist: Angel of Darkness [Exclusive]
Hands down, one of the best surprises of The Alienist: Angel of Darkness is that the serial killer this season has been front and center alongside the cast as a fully-formed character. We’ve watched Libby Hatch devolve from a prim, mild-mannered nurse to a woman in a rage hell-bent on…
The Alienist: Angel of Darkness Relationship Recap: John and Sara
[Warning: Spoilers for “Belly of the Beast” and “Memento Mori”] If you’ve read me for a while (thank you!), you know two things — I lean way, way in on the characters I adore and I loathe love geometry arcs. So, I’m torn about where we are and where we…
Louriza Tronco Talks The Order Season 2 [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers ahead for Season 2.] The Order’s second season is dark yet delightful entertainment on many levels, and one of its biggest sources of joy and snark is the sassy Gabrielle Dupres. Last season, she was assertive and deadly and fairly annoyed with the world. This season, she’s been…
Previewing Netflix’s Virgin River
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] Full disclosure: I have a Netflix account for my Mom, but I’m not a regular viewer. If I get a heads up on something, I’ll go look for it, but I don’t have a wander across its offerings, which, as I understand it, is how most…
Final Thoughts From the Killjoys Team [Exclusive]
This is the day of the week I’d normally hit you up with a Killjoys preview, but now that we’ve put the series to bed and released Team Awesome Force into the wild, I have one more treat for you–some final thoughts excerpted from my conversations with the Killjoys folks….
Michelle Lovretta Talks Wrapping Up Killjoys [Exclusive]
[Warning: Spoilers for the series finale.] To quote Miss Jackson, “That’s the end?” Yes, friends, it is. And like I promised you, everything would be, was, and is alright. I went to the Killjoys source, series creator Michelle Lovretta, who wrote the last episode, to break down that delicious finale….
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…