TV Goodness Reports: Memorable Moments + Scoops from ABC’s Castle Panel @ PaleyFest 2012
WARNING: SPOILERS DISCUSSED
The night was electric as an excited and much enthused group of Castle fans gathered at the Saban Theatre to see the cast of their favorite show at PaleyFest 2012. The evening didn’t disappoint as it featured everything from the screening of the next new episode, singing, surprises, and an impromptu “table” read of a portion of “The Blue Butterfly” episode complete with their characters’ accents. What we learned was that the actors genuinely love their show; they are as big a fan of Castle as the rest of us; and most importantly, they also want Beckett and Castle together big time. It was a fun and entertaining panel.
TV Guide Magazine’s William Keck
Susan Sullivan, Martha Rodgers
Molly Quinn, Alexis Castle
Nathan Fillion, Rick Castle
Stana Katic, Kate Beckett
Seamus Dever, Kevin Ryan
Jon Huertas, Javier Esposito
Tamala Jones, Lanie Parish
Penny Johnson Jerald, Victoria Gates
Andrew W. Marlowe, Creator/Executive Producer
What We Learned
- Stana Katic’s ready for Beckett and Castle to be together.
- Molly Quinn hoped that the Alexis working with Lanie story arc continued. She and Tamala Jones love working together. But will Alexis be part of the canvas next season, considering the character is supposed to go off to college? Creator/EP Andrew Marlowe wasn’t talking. Although they did joke about giving Alexis a spin-off where she’s the new Veronica Mars in college.
- The genesis of “The Blue Butterfly” (the ’40s film noir episode): Aside from the 40s-style photo shoot the cast did before the beginning of Season 4, the episode came about because they knew they needed something special to go up against NBC’s Smash series premiere.
- For Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas, beating up Nathan in “TBB” — on a scale from 1 to awesome — was awesome. They even acted out a fake fight right up there on stage. It was a bit they had come up with on the set where Nathan Fillion got to fight back a little bit. There was a feeble slap somewhere in there.
- According to Fillion, Penny Johnson Jerald has been constantly coming up with different ways for Iron Gates to show her disdain for Castle.
- Tamala and Penny shared a pitch they came up with where they end up being sisters.
- Thoughts on Beckett and Castle being handcuffed together in “Cuffed.” Katic: “It was salacious.” Fillion felt it wasn’t as tough as he thought it was going to be.
- Susan Sullivan said her character, Martha Rodgers, is an homage to her mother, who recently passed away.
- Sullivan has finally adjusted to wearing that red wig after four years of playing Martha.
- Katic has added a couple things to the back story of her character. She thinks Beckett likes the color purple and strawberry shakes.
- Fillion’s favorite crazy Rick Castle theory: right now he’s very into working ninja assassins into the mix.
- Tamala is introduced before the new episode is screened — she walked out and up to the microphone that happened to be there (it hasn’t been out there for any other panel). As a special surprise, Jones sang “Comes Love” from “TBB.” She did such a great job, plus she looked amazing. The audience gave her a well-deserved standing ovation.
- Watching the new episode, “A Dance with Death,” was a treat because it wasn’t quite finished yet. The actors hadn’t completed all their ADR (Audio Dialogue Replacement), so we occasionally heard someone else’s voice reading the actors’ lines. No worries, the episode was fantastic and will be ready to air on Monday, March 19 at 10/9c on ABC.
- One surprise was that moderator, Will Keck, had the cast read a portion of “The Blue Butterfly” in their characters’ accents. Since Jerald wasn’t in the episode, she became the narrator.
- Keck wanted to know who was prettier — Ryan or Esposito — according to a line from “Cuffed.” Ryan broke out the applause meter. We’re going to call it a tie. The audience clapped energetically for both guys.
- Jones talked about kissing Castle in “TBB.” She said she loves kissing Huertas but there’s something about kissing Nathan. She said it was like satin or something. Hilarious.
- What do Martha and Alexis really feel about a Castle/Beckett relationship? Susan Sullivan, as Martha, said she’s always been fond of Beckett, but she’s completely bored with the unending will they or won’t they of it all. She wants Castle to move it along — she wants action. Quinn, as Alexis, said she likes the tension and they need to keep it out of the house.
- Probably the most important news concerning Beckett and Castle that was divulged at this panel, was the fact Marlowe said he doesn’t believe in the Moonlighting curse. And, he doesn’t believe in waiting until the end of a series to get a couple together. That was very encouraging. If/when the moment happens, Katic hoped there would be a lot of kissing. We concur.
- Don’t think we’re going to see much of Kevin and Jenny’s home life. According to Marlowe, that set would be way too expensive to build.
- When asked if Javier will pop the question to Lanie, Huertas says something about not buying the car before test driving it first. Boo.
Spoiler Section (do not read if you don’t want to know)
- Before screening the new episode, Marlowe said this was going to be the last normal Castle before the storm hits. So ominous. So awesome.
- Marlowe knows when Beckett and Castle are going to get together.
- The show will be exploring the mystery of Castle’s dad.
- Beckett and Castle’s secrets will come out and everyone will have to deal with the emotional consequences.
- They will also deal with Beckett’s mother’s murder again. It will put Beckett in an emotionally raw place. Interesting things happen in the wake of that.
- Nathan’s Firefly buddy, Adam Baldwin, guest stars as a character named Detective Slaughter. Beckett will be off working a different case for one reason or another, so Castle works a case involving Slaughter.
- When Keck asks if Castle working with Slaughter will change him, Fillion says, “It’s safe to say parts of his face will be rearranged.” Ouch.
- Katic said, at this point (when they’re working on separate cases), she and Castle are going through something that’s part of this wonderful progression that’ll bring them closer together by the end of the season.
- There’s talk about writing the movie premiere for Heat Wave into an episode, but that’s all that it is at the moment. It’s expensive to do something like that.
- For Jerald, episode 19 of this season is her favorite episode for reasons she can’t go into. She does say that Gates voice is so clear. She’s excited for us all to see it because it’s extraordinary.
- We were shown the covers for the new Nikki Heat novel called Frozen Heat; as well as the new Derek Storm graphic novel. Plus, there are going to be new novels coming out in e-book format focusing on Derek Storm. The title of the first one is A Brewing Storm.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Kelly McCormack Talks Favorite Moments in A League of Their Own
[Warning: Mild spoilers for season 1.] Now that you’ve had a chance to watch A League of Their Own, here’s the rest of my chat with Kelly McCormack about her favorite moments of the season. Seeing the iconic Peaches uniforms for the first time wasn’t just a goosebump moment for…
John Griffin and Harold Perrineau Talk From on EPIX Season 1 Finale
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] How are we doing, #FROMily? In case you missed it this morning, the very good news is that that cliffhanger will be followed by a second season, which was gifted this morning ahead of the linear broadcast of the finale. I always legitimately appreciate when we…
Elizabeth Saunders Talks EPIX’s From
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] One of the things that makes EPIX’s From such a fun ride is the abundance of Canadian cast members. Elizabeth Saunders, who plays Donna, is a favorite from her turn on the third season of Mary Kills People [streaming on Global TV in Canada and Roku…
Corteon Moore Talks From “Broken Windows, Open Doors”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight’s episode of From had us all in our feels as we learned through flashbacks about the Sophie’s Choice Boyd had to make to save his son, and back in the present as Boyd said his piece with Ellis before heading into the woods with…
Pegah Ghafoori Talks From “All Good Things…”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode] Tonight on From, Fatima’s anniversary celebration turned into a Colony House of horrors when a misguided Kevin let his monster bae in and she promptly killed him and left the window open for her crew. While the party devolved into terror and sent everyone running,…
Shaun Majumder Talks From “Book 74”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight on EPIX’s From, Father Khatri made a bold move, kidnapping Sara instead of turning her in, and then recognizing her as a vessel for some big messages. That startling realization speaks to him on multiple levels–as a man of faith, a man trapped in…
Avery Konrad Talks About Sara’s Struggle in From “Silhouettes”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Over the course of the season so far on From, we’ve witnessed Sara’s battle against the voices telling her to to do terrible things, and tonight we saw her unravel further, threatening the Matthews and lashing out in a moment of terror with horrifying results….
Hannah Cheramy Talks From “Choosing Day”
[Warning: Spoilers for tonight’s episode.] Tonight, on EPIX’s From, the Matthews participate in the show’s version of the sorting hat, choosing where to call home–the town or Colony House. At the end of the episode, Julie makes the decision to split from her family and instead settle in with Fatima…
Ricky He Talks From “The Way Things Are Now”
[Warning: Spoilers for episode 102 of EPIX’s From.] Epix’s new series From is two episodes in and it’s already laying the groundwork for a seriously spooky season. Tonight’s episode demonstrated the careful balance of relief and horror that the show hits, with our characters’ worst fears realized, just not when…
Catching Up with Ted Lasso and Previewing Season 2
[Warning: General spoilers ahead.] The not so dirty little secret about how I approach a new series is that I sometimes make a call based on the headspace I’m in at the time. It’s been a minute since I’ve picked up a show after the first season and then binge…
What They Said: Three Revealing Conversations from Survivor’s Remorse “Closure”
WARNING: Spoilers for Survivor’s Remorse “Closure” The latest episode of Starz’s Survivor’s Remorse featured conversations that showed characters really digging deep into their thoughts, emotions and motivations.
Two Takes: The Catch “The Knock-Off”
Who can you trust? If this episode of The Catch was any indication, the answer is just about nobody. Betrayal was running rampant as Felicity (Shivani Ghai) arose from the dead to seduce-con Margot, Gretchen (Maria Thayer, Gotham, The Mindy Project) played gold-hearted Alice 2.0 before swindling Ethan, Tessa jumped…
What They Said: Top 3 Quotable Moments from Preacher “El Valero”
Both Quincannon and Jesse refuse to give up on what they each think is rightfully theirs. While Jesse is struggling to face the consequences of his actions, Quincannon has laid his past demons to rest and is hellbent on moving forward and putting Annville on the map again. Despite a…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Supergirl “Worlds Finest”
Oh, Supergirl. That ending was cold. But I can’t hate on you because the latest episode has quickly become one of my favorites.
What They Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Black Sails “XXIII”
The dialogue in “XXIII” is phenomenal. It’s always a fun ride when Black Sails carries its viewers along without giving them the chance to catch their breath. When an episode moves at this unforgiving pace, there is no chance for a breather nor is there a respite from the information…
What Lucifer Said: Favorite quotes from Supernatural “O Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Supernatural episodes are almost always funny but thanks to the dialogue and a certain man speaking said dialogue, I laughed a lot during “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” You know, when I wasn’t busy fearing for Sam’s life or wondering what in the world was going on with Dean and…
What They Said: The Flash, “Legends Of Today” and Arrow, “Legends Of Yesterday”
Two nights of Arrow +Â The Flash = what more could we ask for?! I don’t know what it is about blending these shows, but I canâ€™t help but feel that every time they come together, they somehow become greater than the sum of their parts. And thatâ€™s saying a lot…
What they Said: Top 4 Quotable Moments from Graceland “Little Bo Bleep”
Shoot outs. Fake outs. And long-awaited revelations. “Little Bo Bleep” was a jam-packed episode that wrapped up some loose ends and totally frayed others. Â It finally gave us one Sarkissian in jail and pulled back the curtain on Briggs’ master plan, but it also set up Jakes for a world…
What They Said: Favorite Quotes from Poldark “Part 4”
â€œWhat have I told you, I don’t require my wife to crochet and sip tea, but I do require her to remember she’s not a beast of burden.â€ No, Iâ€™m not talking about The Rolling Stones! I have to admit though, just for a second, the lyrics popped into my…
3 Moments of Goodness from Brooklyn Nine-Nine “Johnny and Dora”
The most satisfying part of this season’s finale has to the Jake and Amy kiss. Well, they kiss three times but the last one is the best one — and it means something. The Charles and Rosa dynamic was also great. I love how she’s convinced he doesn’t know anything…